Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving in England

Thanksgiving is not one of my favorite holidays.  Maybe it's because I don't like turkey.  I do like getting together with family though.  Too many years we have not been able to catch a flight to Memphis to see our families for such a short holiday.  This year was even more distant, as we live in a country that doesn't even celebrate the holiday.  Jones had class all day on Thursday, so we decided to not even attempt a celebration.  (Not to mention the fact that turkeys here cost about 30 pounds, which is close to $50!)  We did watch the Macy's parade on the computer, and we skyped with Bess's family in Franklin.
We were lucky enough to get invited to a potluck Thanksgiving feast on Saturday night thrown by our friends, Vanessa and Rob.  They went above and beyond my expectations!  Over 30 people attended this dinner, which they hosted in a room at their church.  There were decorations, 2 huge turkeys, mashed potatoes, 2 kinds of stuffing, homemade pies, and all kinds of other yummy items.  We decided to get a babysitter so we could enjoy the evening without chasing A around as he tried to pull the decorations down or worse.  It was really nice for Jones and I to have adult conversation and relax!  I forgot my camera, but my friend Stephanie recorded the evening well on her blog.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment