The time was 4:45pm. A has been extremely fussy all day, and has had a fever, despite having tylenol twice. I take his temperature, and it's 103. So, I immediately phone the Doctor down the street. They have an appointment at 5 if I can make it. I say I can. The whole phone conversation is difficult because A is howling in my ear the entire time and I can hardly hear. At the same time, the doorbell rings. It's Sainsbury's with a delivery of groceries. As I am stacking bags and bags of groceries in my front entryway, EC calls from upstairs that she has just gone potty number 2 and needs a wipe.
Now, I have exactly 8 minutes to get the refrigerated groceries in the fridge downstairs in the dungeon kitchen, run upstairs to wipe EC, get my screaming, blazing-hot baby dressed, and get everyone out the door and down the street to the Doctor.
I made it. A has an ear infection. Ibuprofen every 6 hours, alternating with Tylenol every 4, and amoxicillin. I must say again how great the NHS is. I saw the Doctor right away, and he handed me 3 prescriptions, which I took to the pharmacy across the street. They were filled in 5 minutes and no one ever asked me for any money or even any identification.
I'm exhausted. Not my favorite day in the UK.
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Interesting to hear about the NHS. I guess you're getting a crash course in it! Hope Archer is feeling better. Try and get some rest, wow.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you! Daniel has had 4 ear infections since mid-June (and we have spent over $300 just on his copays since June, so enjoy that NHS!) Poor Archer! Hope he's feeling better.
ReplyDelete