Thursday, December 2, 2010

Just Call Me Bilingual

Everyone here in Oxford is so intelligent.  Most people here are bilingual or trilingual.  I've been feeling a little inadequate because I only speak English, with a little high school Spanish thrown in.  But, today, I realized that I am actually approaching multilingualism.  I speak American English and am flirting with fluency in British English.  I'm very proud of myself.  It's amazing what can happen when you immerse yourself in a foreign country.
Today, EC invited her classmate, Freddy, over after school.  The Brits would call that "coming round for tea."  Although, Freddy's mum might have been disappointed, because all I offered was water and juice.  Freddy is a quiet kid who wears hand-knitted jumpers almost every day.  "Jumper" is the Brit word for sweater.  They also categorize cardigans as their own thing, so a jumper is really just a sweater with no buttons.  I resisted the urge to tell Freddy's mum, Emma, that her son sounds just like Charlie from "Charlie and Lola."  I guess that would be like telling a Hispanic friend that their child reminds me of Dora or Diego.  EC showed Freddie our Christmas tree, and he asked why it was decorated with things like Barbie and legos.  I told him that instead of using ornaments, we used toys this year.  He looked perplexed, but then I remembered that the Brits don't use the word "ornaments."  They say, "Baubles."  So, I corrected my sentence and said that instead of baubles, we used toys.  He still looked confused, but I guess my style choices don't make sense to everyone.  The Brits also call Christmas lights, "fairy lights."  And, they call cupcakes, "fairy cakes."  There must be more fairies in England than America.
Oh, that reminds me of another culture that speaks their own version of English:  South Africa.  My South African friend, Lara, told me that in her country, they call the traffic lights, "robots."  Like, "oh just take a left at the second robot."  I think that's hilarious!
But, I can't waste my time trying to be trilingual.  I must focus on my second language, British English for a while longer.  When EC goes to school, she has to register with her teacher, which means check in.  The teacher "ticks" her name off in the "register."  In America, we call that the roll book.  And we "check" kids names off our roll.  Also here, I've been confused by people saying to "write it in my diary."  I want to tell them that I'm not that interesting, as to need to keep a diary.  They only mean to put it in my calendar.
When we go to the farmer's market, it would be easy to be confused.  "Aubergine" is what they call eggplant here.  "Coriander" is cilantro.  That one really stressed me out when we first arrived.  I wanted to make my own salsa because the salsa here is pretty sad.  I tried looking up cilantro on the online grocery ordering website.  It came up with no matches.  I was pretty worried about a cilantro-free salsa, until I thought to Google the phrase, "What do Brits call cilantro?" and found my answer, coriander.  Courgettes are what we Yanks like to call zucchini squash.  It all sounds so glamorous!
Well, I'm pretty knackered, so I think I'll head to bed.  That doesn't mean drunk or beat up, it just means tired.  I'm sure I'll think of some more of my new language to share with you at another date.

8 comments:

  1. I've been watching Tim Roth on "Lie to Me" (check it out on Hulu) and his British accent is the ultimate. I'm picking up all kinds of tidbits -- sod off, wanker, couldn't give a toss about such and such, hoy! (instead of hey). I'm sure some of it is affected for TV, but it is like another language. PS, got your card today! You're so on top of things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my friend! You are sooooo funny, and I love that you are sharing your "education" with us! As for the Brits---I did the SU abroad program, so I had a "taste," but ask your South African friend about some of their other names for common stuff! A swim suit is a "swim costume," an eraser is a "rubber" (ahem), a washcloth is a "flannel", and a piece of candy is (as it is in the UK) a "sweet!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh---and an Epps Christmas card is on its way to you---4 stamps oughta do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously on top of things! Can't believe you're across the pond and was the first Xmas card I get! Love your post, my favorite is when they rhyme things for what they mean, like I'm cream crackered for I'm knackered. Always threw me off when they'd say those phrases. Did you find out about rockets for arugula yet? I always though that was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bess, British English sounds much the same as Australian English, as a matter of fact it pretty much is...Australians won't like that comment I just made but...in the old days, Australia was were the British prisoners were taken, if I know my history correctly, I remember hearing that in my 6 years over here. I can remember the first time I came over and met Tim's friends, pretty much every word they said, I turned to Tim to clarify what they were telling me or asking me! I must of seemed pretty snobbish and very shy to them, that was in 04, the year we got married.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine, it's Rocket (singular,) and I think that is actually an appropriate name for arugula. I can't come to like the bitter taste, so rocket sounds about right to me!
    Becky, at least you seemed shy and snobbish. I think my Brit friends think I'm loud and annoying!
    Oh, and I haven't heard much of the cockney rhyming slang, although I would love it! I think that's more of a London thing. People here in Oxford are very much "Queen's English" types.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post, Bess! I love that you update so often. We, too, were so excited to get your Christmas card! Thank you! I hope yours makes it to you by Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was HILARIOUS!!! I laughed out loud several times... Awesome.

    ReplyDelete