In the English universities of Oxford, Cambridge,[8] Bristol and Durham, the term is used for the ceremony at which new students are entered into the register (in Latin matricula) of the university, at which point they become members of the university. Oxford requires matriculands to wear academic dress with subfusc during the ceremony. At Cambridge and Durham, policy regarding the wearing of academic dress varies amongst the colleges.
Jones Matriculated on Saturday, so he's now an official student at Oxford. It was fun to go watch everyone arrive in their subfusc. Everyone in Jones's college who are freshers met on the grounds of the college for a group picture. Then, the freshers proceeded to the examination schools, where they heard someone talk in Latin. After matriculation, we went back to the college for croquet and Pimm's. I had heard about Pimm's, so I was anxious to try some for myself. I can only describe it as carbonated whiskey with fruit in it. I thought it would taste more like sangria, but it mostly tasted like whiskey. I was not a huge fan! Jones played croquet with some classmates, and A tried his best to interfere with the game, grabbing the ball, pulling up the wicket, and running off with the mallets.
Here are some pictures from that day!
![]() |
| Jones and EC walking over to the college |
![]() |
| Jones walking through the gate of the college |
![]() |
| family |
![]() |
| A, the mischief maker |
![]() |
| EC having fun! |
![]() |
| Our Matriculee |
![]() |
| Daddy and the kids |
![]() |
| Jones with our neighbors and friends Collin and Nick |
![]() |
| The freshers from Green Templeton college |
![]() |
| EC and A meeting the college cat |
![]() |
| Stephanie, the college principal, Sir David, Collin, Jones, and Bess |












WOW...what a great experience. I know I keep saying that but I am just in such awe of all the different things you get to see and do. I don't think you will want to leave!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is fantastic. How exciting for you all. I love the photo of Jones and EC walking together. And was Jones smiling in one of those photos?! Unbelievable :) Looking good there, Bess. Love the blue coat. Miss you guys, but very happy to see how fantastically you've all "matriculated" (I couldn't resist).
ReplyDelete